St. George Temple

St. George Temple

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Service Opportunities

One of the things that's been on my mind a lot in the recent week is service.

Now, as a person who's been a member all their life, service has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. From people helping us move from house to house, to us helping other people move. Among other things but I remember helping people move the best.

As a missionary, my companion and I were called upon many times to help do service. Two strong young men in their late teens/early twenties were perfect candidates for helping those in need.

I remember one particular time when I was 14 that a family in our ward was moving to Pennsylvania. My dad woke me and my brothers up at 7:00 in the morning on a Saturday to go help this family move. I grumbled and complained; I really did not want to go. But, I went and had the least helpful attitude ever. Even when I found out that there were Dunkin' Donuts afterwards. I had a sour look on my face for about 95% of the time that we helped this particular family move. Near the end of the service, however, the wife that we were helping move approached me (very bravely I might add) and thanked me for helping them move. She appreciated all of our hard work that we were doing in order to help them move. This softened my little 14 year old heart and made me feel super guilty.

After that experience, I tried to not have a negative attitude when it came to doing service for others. This bled into my mission and it helped me to be more excited when it came to doing service for others while I was on my mission. Doing service became a joy for me.

While visiting my family in New Jersey, my Dad needed my help on Labor Day to move a washing machine and a dryer to a member's house in their ward. Similar things happened like when I was 14. We got up early, and it was hard work. However, I noticed that my attitude had changed. I didn't mind getting up early to help serve. I know for a fact that my mission helped me with this.

Now, with a new semester starting at Brigham Young University-Idaho, I keep an eye out for how I can help those in need. Service helps change hearts and it makes us more like our Savior, Jesus Christ. He always helped those in need. Try to find an opportunity this week to help others!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment