This week I was reading in the New Testament again and I was in the Book of Hebrews. I have grown to love the Bible and especially the New Testament in the past couple of years and Hebrews did not disappoint. One of the scriptures that stood out to me this week was in Hebrews Chapter 11 verse 1. It reads: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
In one of our other Books of Scripture in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, called the Book of Mormon, another prophet, named Alma, explains this in a little bit more depth. He says, "And now as I said concerning faith— faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." (Alma 32:21).
Another Book of Mormon prophet named Moroni also said, "And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." (Ether 12:6).
In Chapter 11 of Hebrews, Paul goes on to talk about Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, and Sara just to name a few. He shares with us the ways that their faith was tested and tried. This is a repeating theme in the scriptures and it reminds me that faith is key in the Gospel.
Upon further study of faith, we learn that we don't need to have a perfect knowledge of everything in order to have it. Faith is the desire to believe in things which we cannot see. Faith is putting trust in a divine being that will help us when we need him. Faith leads us to become better. Faith leads to action.
Whenever things get hard in our lives, it may be easy to just give up on everything. Especially now where the future seems so bleak. Even though life can get hard sometimes, faith helps us have hope for a brighter future. Faith helps us through those hard times. We just have to put our trust in God and know that He know better than we do and that He is in control.
No comments:
Post a Comment