This place brings back so many memories: the dust that Sanpete County is famous for, the 4th of July Celebrations, wonderful happy people, the hot sun.
And, of course, the turkeys.
Here's a picture of a sign outside one of the turkey farms where my companion and I got to do service:
You can see part of what Sanpete County looks like.
If you ever lived in Utah and have ever gotten turkey, more likely than not it probably came from Sanpete. And it was probably processed in Moroni. Check the label next time you're in Utah.
Anyway, Moroni holds a special place in my heart. I was there during the summer of 2017. My companion had already been there for a little bit of time and had already had a ton of success. I came during a slightly dry period.
So, you can imagine that it was a little difficult for me. My last area had been fairly busy and so, coming to Moroni was a little disheartening for me.
Until I met Aiden Larsen.
He was an 11 year old boy in Moroni who my companion had been working with for a very long time. He wasn't baptized and had a hard time paying attention to us boring guys in white shirts and ties. I didn't really have a lot of faith in him. Nevertheless, we continued to visit him. One particular visit we had with him I was about to give in. He wasn't making any progress. Why should we spend time with somebody who could care less if we were with him? My companion asked him if he wanted to get baptized. He shot back, (he was kind of a brat sometimes), "Is my dad baptized?" What does that have to do with anything? I wondered. His dad happened to be in the room and answered "Yes." His dad told him about his experience being baptized and how good it made him feel. After hearing all of that, Aiden said, "I want to be baptized too!"
I was pleasantly surprised.
In my surprise, he also wanted to get baptized that very weekend. My companion and I both knew that that wasn't possible, so we set a new baptismal date for mid-August. Aiden agreed to it and we began to teach him for real.
The method we did our teaching was pretty interesting. I'm sure this wouldn't have worked for other missionaries or other investigators but it worked for us. We played Uno with Aiden while teaching him the Gospel.
For the rest of my mission and to this day, that was the most interesting way that I've taught somebody.
He began to remember what we taught him and he wanted us to come over more often. The parents were happy with the way he was acting and everything. He made incredible progress.
Next week, I'll continue my story with Aiden. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment